Saturday, November 8, 2008

Coming out of my Comfort Zone

It’s been more than 5 months since I wrote last( and the first as well).

Reason: As the title suggests i.e. I was, and still am trying to come out of my comfort zone.


So, what’s this all about!?

It’s about a guy who’s long forgotten the walls of the school

It’s about a guy going back to his school dayz

It’s about a guy who’s trying hard to forget his weekend pubbings

It’s about a guy who no longer has a reason to check his bank a/c on the 1st of every month

It’s about a guy who has to wear white-n-grey on Mondays and Wednesdays

It’s about a guy who is still trying to believe that this was what he wanted; although deep within, he knows, he had some different perceptions!


Yes… the guy is me!


After having enjoyed the leisures of living a job, taking up school life again might seem fancy but ain’t that easy. It requires a paradigm shift in lifestyle. And worst of all, you’ve gotta study… being more straightforward, you gotta cram and mug!

Being the rebellious kind, I never believed in conventional wisdom (read: mugging books up). And when you try to swim against the current… you’ve got to pay a price! The 1st term results are out already and have proved this point very well.

Yeah… 1st term over! I am already 1/6th of an MBA!!


Defining my Comfort Zone:

Not having to wake up for early morning classes

Loud ROCK music

Getting paid for waking up everyday

If there’s no work… you’ve got a dormitory to relax!

Speak out for any issues that seem to be an ‘Issue’ with your boss’s boss’s boss without the prefix “Sir”!

A bank account that gets credited every month.

Ask a gal out without thinking twice… ‘coz you’ve got a reasonably fat wallet.

Can easily ignore the IWism going around you as you have a professional life!

Getting drunk with friends and all that BAKAR!

Having the option of saying “I’ll Resign”, if the you no longer want to tolerate the nonsense. Now I am at the receiving end!


I am, now, deprived of all of these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So much for the golden FUTURE, I can’t even start!!??

FUTURE, HOPES etc are. such intangible things… I tell you!


One might wonder if it sucks that much!

Naah… not actually!


After all, it was my very own decision to take this course at this institute. And, it was a conscious decision indeed.

Job satisfaction and career growth being the most conspicuous of reasons, somewhere deep within there was a supposedly covert agenda as well. I had started being too comfortable with myself.

So much that I was becoming Comfortably numb!

And

Comfortably dumb!

This is what happens when you don’t wanna take things as they come but don’t have the courage to change it either. All you do is… You try to ignore it.

But the more you try to ignore, more strongly it rebounds!


Somewhere I had read, “If you’re too comfortable, it’s time to change! ‘Comfort’ is one stagnation that hinders your growth… personally as well as professionally……!”


And as it happens to be, I believed the inscription and decided to put some action in my life.


As there’s no turning back now, and in fact going back ain’t no solution… Now I am looking for the sequel to the inscription that would probably tell me that if I took the first one seriously what would happen! J


So as I walk my MBA… I bitch and moan about it!

I walk and watch and listen… a witness to all the beauty and ugliness that is flashing all around me while still trying to reassure myself that I made a right decision!

8 comments:

Shailendra said...

Finally :-). Well i don't knw wot actions u r taking for coming out of "CZ" but i think a step has been made as u r back in bloggin.
Hope u r actions soothe u n u could put more of mind n time to this "blackboard".
aalll d bessst :-)

Rishabh Makrand said...

All I can say, after reading this..I can not stop laughing..pinch of humor and sarcasm, and a lot about the "struggle".
I second you on your valid point of “If you’re too comfortable, it’s time to change! ‘Comfort’ is one stagnation that hinders your growth… personally as well as professionally……!”
I am still in your so called "comfort zone", but this is not as comfortable as it was with you.
Hope to see you around soon.

Arnab Thakur said...

Good one. Enjoyed reading it. Hope you are having a nice time learning all the globe and other stuff they dish out as part of MBA six-course meal.
About loud ROCK music, you have the esteemed duty of spreading the awareness. Play Led Zepp and Lynyrd Skynyrd and educate your fellow brethren.
And yeah, am missing all those High Hopes days.

Dheeraj said...

Mate, It was what is called as a nice read.. enjoyed it ,, though I knew all dese stuff.. v hv talked and discussed all these.. We gotta save the world,, i need u Peter..
The decision howsoever it was,, was yr own,, So no shit! btw,, keep these penning.. and good things r bound to happen

Sandeep said...

woh kehte hai na "shaadi ka laddoo - jo khaye woh pachtaye aur jo na khaye woh bhi".. so better eat n pachtao instead of bhuke reh jao (like me) :(
~Sandeep Potdar

Hemant said...

@all
thanx a tonne for all the feedback and encouragement.
@arnie
u r rite! we've got the noble duty of makin' all the Heads a 'Metal Head'. And yeah... I miss those 'high hopes' days too!! :)

amar said...

Bro...I know, you can't write fictions...You do the things "dil se" and this post is the example...when the emotions brims up, you write. Nice post! However, it shouldn't be for comforting or calming down-instead to remind you that, for urself, you need a stirrer to bubble up these emotion-which keeps u motivating.And, decision that you took, isn't right or wrong. Be it whatever, I'm sure, you're gonna make it right.

Kaushik Bhattacharyya said...

i loved reading it......very clear description of your feelings......the feeling of being lost which is expressed very strongly.....i wonder why i have missed out on your blog for almost a year

Disclaimer: All standard disclaimers apply